Pages

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

*..Monday isn't blue today, Sunday was..*

I was absolutely sleepless last night (Sunday), with every tiny bit of information, detail, pre-empting of today's shoot floating in every corner of my mind. Like things were so blurry, details were but ideal details, people weren't answering my calls and smses, and the shoot had to happen by hook or by crook today.

Cross-cultural documentary has the craziest and most unrealistic deadlines of all Chapman modules. With the US exchange students here for 21 days, including weekends. We got to know them on 6th January (Thursday) and a group portrait documentary was due on 10th January (Monday) already. Hence, we worked through the weekend.

On Wednesday, the treatment, synopsis and other paperwork were due for our 2nd documentary on the 7 deadly sins. Ours was by default Sloth, since the other groups didn't choose this topic. The scariest thing was, by Tuesday afternoon, we still didn't have a topic at all.

And then it all began on Tuesday, we were at Coffee Bean Holland Village and Sulaiman mentioned the magic word "Chinese Opera" after 30 min of brainstorming. We googled, found the Chinese Opera Institute, I called them up, the guy was superbly and unbelievably helpful, we went down to his office for a chat within 30 mins of the call, chatted for an hour or two, he opened our perspective on the topic and suggested possible subjects, went to Chinatown to discuss our treatment till 9pm. It was the most efficient 6 hours of my life (3-9pm).

Lots of things in between, like the subject agreed to be interviewed by is always uncontactable and busy, it was the 1st time we met him on the interview set today. How scary is that? We based our treatment and came up with an ideal angle based on what the Chinese Opera Institute guy told us, which thankfully was every bit factual. But I was worried sick yesterday that he would pangseh us at the last moment.

And thankful for the Telok Ayer Canto Clan for assisting us in getting location permit to film backstage of the Opera performance on Saturday. For big-hearted people willing to assist students in their requests, for Panda who took time out despite his busy schedule to help out with that shoot cos 3 out of 5 group members were in Malacca over the weekend.

On a sidenote, I guess my chinese has upped many levels in the past few days, today especially. I typed an extremely long sms in chinese to him cos he's from Beijing and doesn't understand English. Took me 20 minutes of my life with the Sony Ericsson HP. Last night, I had a long phone conversation with him, trying to decipher his heavily accented Mandarin. Today, Kaydash and I had a chat with him on set, and little chats here and there, and the interview was done by Kaydash thankfully! Whilst I topped up some questions at the end. And throughout, I was listening attentively to whatever the interviewee was saying, taking notes which impressed myself after I read them over again. HAHAHA! Translation at its best. After listening, speaking and writing so much Chinese in the past 2 days, I feel like I'm getting back in touch with my Cheena self again. xq is a Higher Chinese girl yo!

One more round of Cheena Chinese session tomorrow for Day 2 of shoot, and we're all done with production. And there comes the dreaded editing. I guess we'll be bunking in alot with the US students at Kismis alot, in the next 8 days. The edit is due 26th January. Hmm a week of editing. On top of classes every morning from 10am-1pm which would have already drained us out.

Today, was a wildest dream come true. Everything just fell in too perfectly, we really have to be thankful. For panda helping us at the studio technical rehearsal, for Uncle Jack helping us out at checking out equipment at Cage (no thanks to Uncle Johnny for not approving any basic accessories), for Gina who lent us her group's 2 red heads, for Chapman Eric's assistance in getting us the letter of verification and a room to lock our equipment, for the Chinese Opera Institute for their undying passion in helping us in everything we request for, for Mr Lee's eloquence and passion in the art form, for Mr Wang, the musician's enthusiasm and pride in his music, for Tianyu's feedback and presence, for a cohesive team of workers.

There's so much to be thankful for, especially with uncertainty that clouded us last night. It's exciting, this journey. The power of documentary- it touches lives, it has touched me so deeply today, I kinda feel so cultured already.

Tmr brings another hopeful day, can't wait to get into editing though! except the fact that the interview is in Chinese and only xq & kaydash can understand it. 2 US students & 1 Malay. Hmm, translating is such a bitch sometimes, it gets my mind way tired (especially with the Beijing accent). Otherwise, this is going to be a good combined effort.

An example of translation, typed a pretty long email with the interview content in broad strokes.


JIAYOU EVERYONE!

And to other groups, especially ginacute, cc, JY and mary, JIAYOUUUUU OUR FREEDOM IS NEAR! 8 more days! AND I MISS YOU GUYS! I wish we had more time to spend with everyone, instead of just spending all of our time with our respective groupmates.

I'm so tired now, I wish I didn't have to wake up at 730am tmr. LE SIGH. Yet on the other hand, tomorrow morning is yet another inciting incident for a new beginning!

No comments: